What causes pain in left groin and lower back and how can it be treated?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have pain in my left groin and left lower back. The pain has been there off an on for about a month. It started out with a lot of stomach gas, and just in the last couple of days I've had some belching. I have an appointment to see a gastroenterologist, but can't get in until Dec. 9th. I think I can make it until then, unless this pain escalates. I am a musician and have a lot of concerts to play during this season and I don't want to have a major collapse while playing.
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Due to muscle spasm. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The pain in the left lower back and the groin is less likely to be associated with a gas or indigestion. This is more likely to be due to a muscle spasm caused by poor posture. The low back ache as a result of muscle spasm is itself a protective mechanism body develops so that the back avoids abnormal posture. For pain to go, it takes not only rest (on a comfortable bed) but also avoidance of particular positions (during work, rest or recreation). Even the sleeping position matters, so avoid sleeping on sides and stomach in case you do. While on work don't sit in one position for more than an hour and take frequent stretch breaks. Do not bend forward to lift things up, bend the knees and hips for that. Also discontinue any strenuous activity or exercises for some time. Having said that, you might want to consult your orthopaedician for a detailed physical examination and appropriate investigations. It might help with few medications and physiotherapy for a few days. Physiotherapy particularly back strengthening exercises after pain relief work well. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: What causes pain in left groin and lower back and how can it be treated? 17 minutes later
Thank you so much for your answer. I do have a very bad bed and I flip and flop all night trying to find a comfortable position. I usually end up on my left side. However, I should have extended my question to include that it is not only the pain in my left groin and back, but the escalation of gas and belching that bothers me. I am feeling, well, in general "icky". I don't feel like eating or doing anything. Normally I am very active. I am wondering if this pain, gas, and belching, could also be connected with my colon, kidneys, or liver? I had a colonoscopy seven years ago and the doctor told me I didn't need another one for ten years. Thank you so much for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Not related to colon problem. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. The increase in gas and belching is more likely to be due to dietary changes, stress and anxiety.This is not related to any colon or renal problem. Please do not worry. Doing some dietary modifications will help you. Consulting a gastroenterologist will confirm this further. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards