What causes pain in heel?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I suffer with pain in my feet like you wouldnt believe. I had a confirmed spur on my right foot and believe I have one on my left but its more than that now. My left foot feels like its badly bruised and has sharp pains in the heel and outside foot most of the time. During the night the pain will wake me up and my feet are burning. Im 56 and, over weight which doesnt help.
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed below Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The pain in heels can be due to a condition called plantar fasciitis which is aggravated by heel spurs. Its one of the commonest reason for heel pain. The initial treatment with anti inflammatory medicines with rest and cold fomentation works fine for most of the patients. Cortisone injection is a good mid to long term treatment. You might need a repeat dose in a few months. Beware not to take it frequently since it causes induced tear of plantar fascia. Consider using soft silicone heel cushions for preventing any further damage to fascia. Exercises also play an important role and I'm afraid they are the only long term mainstay of the treatment. I'm sure you already know but these are few exercises you'll have to do for long time- 1. Calf stretch- Lean forward against a wall with one knee straight and the heel on the ground. Place the other leg in front, with the knee bent. To stretch the calf muscles and the heel cord, push your hips toward the wall in a controlled fashion. Hold the position for 10 seconds and relax. Repeat this exercise 20 times for each foot. A strong pull in the calf should be felt during the stretch. 2. Plantar fascia stretch- This stretch is performed in the seated position. Cross your affected foot over the knee of your other leg. Grasp the toes of your painful foot and slowly pull them toward you in a controlled fashion. The fascia should feel like a tight band along the bottom of your foot when stretched. Hold the stretch for 10 seconds. Repeat it 20 times for each foot. These exercises are best done in the morning before standing or walking. You also need to understand that with help of medicines, injections and physiotherapy the effects shall be appreciated after a year or so. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL