What causes pain in belly button while urinating?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My 4 year old son complained of his belly button hurting when he urinated a couple of weeks ago, did a urine sample, it came back showing that the growth or whatever was from outside skin, nothing else was done. Since then he has occasionally been running low grade fevers, has been more irritable than normal, complains of being cold, which he has never done before, has the chills sometimes and has loss of appetite, and he is saying that things hurt like when I rub his knee or in general horse play, things that shouldn't normally hurt, could he possibly have a uti or some kind of infection?
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes very likely Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes , it is very likely. I think you should repeat urine routine and culture for him as also blood counts ( for signs of infection) If necessary an ultrasound abdomen also may be one being a boy!( uti in boys are rare) The symptoms are very suggestive of uti God bless Dr UM#