What causes pain and swelling under my right jaw?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
16 yr old male has pain and swelling under jaw on right side and toward chin about 3/4 way from ear to chin. Fever is slight at 99.8. Had wisdom teeth pulled about 3.5 months ago. Pain and swelling appear to be under jaw and almost onto neck. Glands under jaw are also swollen.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Virosis complicated with bacterial infection... Detailed Answer: Hi, The symptoms you are having indicate a virosis complicated with bacterial infection. I suggest to take a course of antibiotics for up to 7 days (Amoxicillin/Clavulonate for example) and to take a good oral hygiene. You should also take acetaminophen/ibuprofen to reduce swelling and antiacids to protect your stomach from these meds. If you had your wisdom teeth pulled about 3.5 months ago and you have not had any complication (bleeding, frequent fever or swelling); then, your symptoms are more alike to virosis complications. At last, I advise to get checked by an ENT specialist and to run mono and strep test to exclude mono and strep throat respectively and to get the prescription for the oral antibiotic. Furthermore, your ears should be checked for possible ear infection. Wish fast recovery! Dr.Bardha Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!
Follow-up: What causes pain and swelling under my right jaw? 2 hours later
There was one relapse after the wisdom teeth extraction in Nov. that required the dentist to open up one socket and clean it out. There was pain and swelling with that, but it was in the area of the tooth, not down in the jaw/neck area. Can you be any more specific on the type of virus it might be? We will be seeing a Dr tomorrow to rule out mono and strep. If we could narrow down the type of virus, we can treat for that naturopathically. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer: EBV or citomegalovirus for mono.... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. If you had a relapse on November, to my opinion, it might be also related to another relapse. If the infection is not caught in time when locally, then, it can be affect the local lymph-nodes (as you have already swollen glands under jaw/neck). So, I strongly suggest to get your teeth checked by a dentist to rule it out. With regards to the mono virus, it is called EBV (Epstein-Barre-Virus or citomegalovirus). If mono will be confirmed by lab tests, there is no specific treatment unless your ENT doctor will decide to go for anti-viral therapy. Usually, local hygiene and reducing the swelling is the basic of the treatment. If strep or other bacterial infection will be confirmed, you might need to start a course of antibiotics. Hope it answered to your query! Dr.Bardha
Follow-up: What causes pain and swelling under my right jaw? 18 hours later
Looks like it may be a salivary gland stone.
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Please consult with ENT specialist... Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, To determine the salivary gland stone, a further evaluation by ENT specialist is needed. Wish you fast recovery! Dr.Bardha