What causes overnight bruise with lump?

Hi - I woke up 4 days ago with a huge bruise on my right arm. The size of a orange - I didn't bang arm. There is also a lump on one side of the bruise about a size of a dime. I had minor surgery 3 weeks ago. Could it be a blood clot should I see a doctor. The bruise is purple pink and black.
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: A large bruise ,need further investigation Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin condition and I hope I am able to help you in the same. The skin lesion that you have is surely a large bruise or purpura. Since you had a surgery recently, I hope you are not on any anti platelet drug or any blood thinning drugs. If you are not on any such agents and there was no trauma or needle prick at the site of the lesion , then it surely is a cause of concern and need further evaluation . Although such skin lesions are common after any kind of trauma or needle trauma , but if they develop as such , then various blood investigations are essential to check for the blood bleeding parameters. A clot in blood vessels is also a possibility but it is usually associated with severe pain if it was due to the previous surgery. So I would advise you to see your local doctor and get yourself investigated. Dr Geetika Paul