What causes occasional vomiting and abdominal pain in a child?

Pediatrician, Cardiology
Question
My son is approx. 8 years and he plays lot of sports. He is having habit of playing sports all time...indoor outdoor both. His weight is approx. 29kg. He looks very lean and yellowish pale. His hemoglobin count is 10.5. He vomits many time early morning just before going school. Sometime he vomits in school as well. He sometimes reports stomach pain as well. His dies is Ok types. But he does not enjoy food at home.
I consulted many doctors. As per them, it is not serious problem. They suggest to give me lots of water and fresh fruits/vegetables. No tests are required.
Please suggest.
Posted Sun, 19 Mar 2017 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry for occasional vomiting or pain abdomen

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

As you have mentioned the child is active, playful and has weight normal for age.
You have consulted many doctors and none has found any clinical abnormality.
I won't get overly worried for occasional vomiting and pain abdomen.
Occasional vomiting can be due to transient gastritis(increased acidity) due to poor dietary habit and can be controlled well by good dietary care (by good dietary care I mean avoidance of spicy diet, taking meals regularly without skipping breakfast and intake of lots of fluids, green vegetables, fruits) and acid reducing agent like junior lanzol.
Vomiting is considered to be worrisome if it is persistent, poor food intake and leads to poor weight gain.
If pain abdomen and vomiting is too frequent and severe an upper GI endoscopy may be needed to see any change in stomach(long standing gastritis).
So I too suggest you to not to get worried and to consult a gastroentetologist if symptoms are too frequent or severe.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more queries.
Wishing for your son's good health.

Follow-up: What causes occasional vomiting and abdominal pain in a child? 46 minutes later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX His stomach pain and vomiting is not frequent. I would like to know you opinion on less HBC. His hemoglobin is 10.5 and he skin looks pale yellow and he feels tired very early during games. His passion for games only make him playing for long hours.
Please suggest if low HBC is concerned for growing up kid. How to improve it.

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get RBC indices and serum iron profile done

Detailed Answer:
I am really very sorry. I should have mentioned about low hemoglobin too.
You are right the hemoglobin value is slightly below normal range. In most of the child this is due to improper diet leading to iron deficiency.
I request you to get RBC indices like(mean corpuscular volume, MCV;mean corpuscular hemoglobin, MCH) and iron profile done to see the iron status.
I don't think this mildly low value of hemoglobin will lead to early fatigue. You may also get serum vitamin D and calcium level done as deficiency of these nutrients are also very common in this age group..
Supplementation of iron and other nutrients helps in increasing hemoglobin level.

I shall be glad to help you out if you need any further help.

Follow-up: What causes occasional vomiting and abdominal pain in a child? 2 days later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX Please suggest if below health checkup package will work. I am getting discounted package around 1900/-.
Vitamin D is not cover which I will do separately. Please suggest which level Vitamin D is sufficient.
1     Sonography (FULL ABDOMEN)
2     Erythro Sedimentation Rate (ESR)
3     Complete Blood Count (CBC) - It should cover Iron, MCV, MCH as well.
4     Blood Group & Rh Factor
5     Urine Routine
6     Dental Consultation
7     OPTHAL CONSULT (COLOUR BLINDNESS)
8     Kidney Assessment Calcium
9     Stool Routine
10     Chest X - Ray (PA View)

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I don't think this package will be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Now a days the package system is too in trend. I think only specific investigation should be based on clinical condition.
One best example here is that your son has no symptoms related to chest(only specific indications are there for chest x-ray mainly to see hear size and to find pneumonia)and it is not needed but in package they have included this.
I want to inform you that x-ray is a radiation hazard and unnecessary exposure should always be avoided. Radiation exposure due to a single chest x-ray is equivalent to about 15-20 days of exposure of radiation to natural environment.
Out of these CBC with iron studies, blood group & Rh factor, dental exam, ophthalmic exam, sonography (only because there is no harm in USG) and calcium can be done as a routine. Even if you want to go for this package ask them not to do chest x-ray.