What causes numbness in arm and racing heart beat?

My partner is saying he feels "not right" says he feels crawling under his skin, and is breathing funny like gasping then not breathing, he says his lwft arm (which was recently broken boxer fracture) is going numb. If he lays on his left side his heart starts racing and his arm goes numb again. Should I take him to the hospital? We have 4 kids and I would have to get them up and take them with us...
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: State of intoxication Detailed Answer: Hi The description fits under intoxication of alcohol or substance abuse. I am not sure if your husband had a bout of alcohol or he abuses drugs. IF the liver enzymes elevated it important to abstain from these. The metabolism of these would be at stake. It would be helpful to take him to the ER for evaluation. This at least helps us to check with an ECG as sometimes heart issues present with such non specific symptoms. Let me know if you have any specifics.
Follow-up: What causes numbness in arm and racing heart beat? 5 minutes later
he has an appointment scheduled for Friday. I try to get him to go to the hospital but he refuses. I'm afraid to go to sleep and something happens to him. should I call the paramedics and make him go or do you think he may be ok until Friday? he claims if he lays on his back his heart is normal.just when he lays on his left side it starts racing. personally, I am scared for him, but he is stubborn and downplays everything.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Call 911 Detailed Answer: In case of fear and doubt it is better to get this clarified at doctor's office/ER soon. If it is not emergency at least you can sleep quiet with your kids. If he is stubborn call 911 and let paramedics do the work.