What causes numbness and tingling down ulnar side?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
a pt fx my L distal radius oct 21. After a week or so of the cast shooting pains with numbess abs tingling down ulnar side into 4th abd 5th fingers. Emg/ncs XXXXXXX (had done today). Have had pt for a month no relief. Because its workers comp nobody tx you like a human, im a nurse, something ks wrong. What tests can help me get a dx of whats going on so i can get treatment? Ortho doesnt care i had to practically beg for this test today. He even released me to work full duty the day the cast came off.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Go for a fresh xray of wrist. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Go for a fresh xray of wrist. It will show us healing status of the fracture. Continue doing physiotherapy exercises to regain the full range of motion. Numbness and tingling down ulnar side into 4th and 5th fingers could be due to temporary compression of ulnar nerve. There is feature to upload the xray/image. You can utilise that so that I can help you in better ways. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: What causes numbness and tingling down ulnar side? 2 minutes later
I just had a fresh xray and the bone is healed. I have 2 days left of pt. Do you think an mri would help, possible ligament muscle damage causing nerve compression? The emg/ncs showed results wnl
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 24 hours later
Brief Answer: MRI would be helpful Detailed Answer: Hi, As the fracture is already healed and and there is still shooting pain, there is quite possibility of ligament injury. This injury might causing compression of nerve. MRI would be helpful to reveal any ligament damage. Wishing you speedy recovery...