What causes nose bleeding during winters?

ENT Specialist
hai.I am from cleveland ,united winter season here.I am experiencing a little amount of nosebleed.A little amount of fresh blood coming from nose.No fever.Can you please tell me whats the reason
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Usually becuase of scab formation at ur age Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. There can be various causes of epistaxis and there are usually two types of epistaxis: anterior and posterior. Anterior epistaxis can be because of scab formation or ulceration in the anterior part of nasal cavity mostly on the nasal septum. The cold environment can be cause of scab formation if it is dry environment with cold. This scab when gets dislodged leaves a raw area over the mucosa which can bleed. Otherwise nose picking is a common cause especially in younger patients. Posterior epistaxis, most common cause is hypertension in the elderly and other causes can be a mass in the nasal cavity. Some systemic causes can also affect the bleeding and clotting mechanisms and thus result in bleeding so also some drugs like aspirin. The chances of having episodes of raised blood pressure are also more in winters. Please get your blood pressure monitored and go for a complete examination by an ENT. Please use any lubricating ointment in nose and put some liquid paraffin drops in nose. Also you can take vitamin C tablets and avoid pain killer/aspirin if you are using it. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Follow-up: What causes nose bleeding during winters? 3 minutes later
Thank you. I will follow up.
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: My pleasure Detailed Answer: My pleasure. Regards