What causes nose bleeding and blood while coughing?

I had a nosebleed which wouldn't stop. Had my nose packed with an inflatable pack. Last Tuesday had nose cauterised. Since then, I am occasionally coughing up tiny blood clots from time to time. Is this normal? The blood seems to be coming from behind the nose, down the throat. I have a cold at the moment and the nose is a little runny, but no blood coming through the nose itself. The tiny clots are about the quarter of a size of a tea spoon - not very large, but still visible.
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: No intervention required. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. Uncontrolled Hypertension can cause rupture of small blood vessels leading to epistaxis (bleeding from nose). It is a common cause , but there are other local causes too. Since you have got them cauterized , i suppose you have met an ENT Specialist who must have evaluated all local causes of epistaxis (nose bleed). Little clots can come for a few days , but if they are in excessive amount , you need a re visit your surgeon. Also , an important concern is about your blood pressure , it should be controlled properly. You may discuss with your doctor for taking tranexamic acid tablets 3 times a day for active nose bleed if you are having. However , passing a few tiny clots , doesn't require any medicines or intervention. But , have a close check on your blood pressure. This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any query you may please ask me. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD