What causes nerve pain under the breast when suffering from tumor in spine?

I have had nerve pain on my left side under my breast that follows a band right around to my spine. After 1 1/2 of seeing a neurologist and being prescribed numerous medications and creams she sent me for an MRI. The MRI showed that I had a tumour in my spinal cord. I had surgery in XXXXXXX of 2013 and they removed 95 percent of the tumour. I started radiation on July 22 and it ended September 4. I am now booked for an follow up in Feb. I still have the initial nerve pain that started all of this and it is getting to be very frustrating. I get repeated shocks and it feels like constant pinpricks in some areas. Also I have a sensation that someone has rubbed my skin raw under my upper arm and along my side. Since surgery I also have a numb sensation from my rib cage to my feet. At times it feels like my legs are swelling and I don't always feel things, it varies. I understand that the sensation I am feeling from my rib cage down was because they damaged nerves when they cut into my spinal cord, but the initial nerve pain under my left breast is driving me crazy. My family has prescribed be the butrans pain patch and it worked for a short time to take the edge off but has now since quit working. I have gone from a 5mcg to a 20 mcg and do not notice any difference. He has also given me Percocet along with gabapetine and several other drugs with no avail. I do have some back pain as well in the surgical area. I am also consulting a laser pin clinic but until my results come in they won't treat me. What can I do for this nerve pain. The tumour I have or had is an ependynoma grade II. They removed 1/2 of my T5 and 1/2 of my T6 in order to access my cord and that bone was not replaced. I have tried acupuncture which gave me no results and I do go for massages approximately every three weeks.
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Neurogenic pain Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX, possibly the pain was due to tumor in your spine which was refered to your chest. since the tumor is removed and treated with radiation therapy as well there is radiation damage to the nerve and the cord giving rise to continuation of the pain. gabapentine with B12 is the right treatment for it. I wonder if your doctor prescribed cortico steroids with it to produce anti inflamatory effect and thus reduction of the pain. If all these measures fail, not giving pain relief you should go to pain clinic for nerve block. this will give you relief for good time and the chain of pain is broken and slowly the pain will vanish. The nerve damage caused either by tumor or the radiation takes little time to heal as compared to other normal tissues in the body. I hope your complaint of pain will be redressed by attending the pain clinic for nerve block. This is what advice I will give to my patients who do not get pain relief by normal procedures like the ones you have undergone. Truly, Dr. J. Ticku
Follow-up: What causes nerve pain under the breast when suffering from tumor in spine? 1 hour later
I will have to check if the gabapentine was prescribed along with a cortico steroid. I know my dosage of gabapentine was at the maximum dosage I could take per day and I did not get great relief from it. As far as a pain block I initially was given an anesthetic in the nerve area in the beginning before we knew it was a tumour causing the pain and the injection work for about 1/2 an hour which was the greatest half hour of pain relief but that isn't very long.
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Neurogenic pain Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX, Thanks for reverting. Putting an anesthetic agent will last for only half to one hour. For nerve block injection you have to use combination of drug which blocks the nerve for pretty long time to give a very long time pain relief. Real pain management clinic will help you. This is yo be done if cortico steroid management also did not help you. Truly, Dr. J. Ticku