What causes neck and axillary swelling?

Apr 2014

I have noticed some slight swelling in left armpit and one side of my neck, almost near the collar bone on the left side also. Now I am getting sneezy, watery runny nose, and a slightly scratchy throat. Any ideas? No fever or other body aches. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Neck & axillary swelling may be due to lymph node. Detailed Answer: Hello Pamamamia Thanks for writing to us Axillary and neck swelling may be due to enlarged lymph node.These are the site of draining lymph nodes.Usually it is due to benign reasons like throat infection,head and scalp infection etc. In most of the cases it doesn't require any treatment and it will resolve after some time.However other skin lesions like lipoma,neurofibroma etc need to be ruled out. You need routine blood examination like routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile.Further investigations can be done if needed. Proper treatment depend upon clinical examination and investigation reports. For throat problem you need proper clinical examination.You need examination of tonsils and swollen glands in neck. Mostly throat infections are due to virus whereas some are caused by bacteria.Without tests it is usually not possible to tell whether it is a viral or bacterial infection.Antibiotics kill bacteria but do not kill viruses. Antibiotics are needed in complicated cases. If needed you can take combination of amoxycillin 500 mg with clavulanic acid 125 mg thrice daily for seven days. Antihistaminics like cetrizine is also helpful. Analgesics are not needed since you don't have pain. You should also gargle with warm salt water and should rest your voice. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX