What causes mucus secretion in the back of my throat?

ENT Specialist
I have continous nasal like mucus gathering in the back of my throat which prompts to keep clearing my throat all day which give me a sore throat . If I lie down or when I sleep at night it doesn`t bother me but all the time I`m up and about it does. Whats causng this and what can I do to get rid of it.
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Sinusitis is the most common cause Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. You are having a post nasal drip and the most common cause of it is an infection in sinuses. The other causes are deviated nasal septum, any polyp or other mass in the nasal cavity. Please take steam inhalation regularly and a mucolytic. If problem continues, consult an ENT and an XRAY PNS will be required. A CT PNS may also be required if your ENT feels it is indicated. Feel free to ask another query. Regards