What causes milk and uncooked cheese to smell sour ?

Milk and unccoked cheese smells sour to me. Family insists milk is fine. Started three days ago. I have discontinued all milk.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms. It will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition better if you could answer some of these questions:

1)     Did you have any recent cold or flu or recent sinus infection?
2)     Is there a history of any recent head trauma?
3)     Are you having any nasal blockage or any smoking or alcohol intake?

One reason for this sour smell from milk and cheese when others are not having it can be due to phantom smell. The other possibility is of parosmia which is an olfactory dysfunction that is characterized by the inability of the brain to properly identify an odor and it is often perceived as unpleasant.

Phantom smell may be due to halitosis (due to infections of the oral cavity or poor hygiene) or smell due to nasal or sinus infections. Hence it better to get an ENT evaluation for any chronic sinus infection. Parosmia is a frequent side effect of lansoprazole and zopiclone. Hence you can get these medicines replaced with other medicines and check if the symptoms persist.

Please reply with these answers so that I can suggest you better.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.