What causes mild pain in the peroneal area?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had six months of ankle pain, diagnosed as PTT at the onset. I had been doing a lot of walking. No MRI at that time. Doctor gave me a cortisone shot which, that evening, made the area even more painful. Rest, compression, massage, ibuprofen on rare occasions, and after six months, the pain in that area was completely gone. A week later I developed mild pain in the peroneal area and minor swelling in the area after walking or at the end of the day. Sometimes I felt the tendon vibrating. New podiatrist ordered an MRI and only findings were "longitudinal split tear in the distal portion of the posterior tibial tendon beginning at the level of the medial malleolus and extending inferiorly to the insertion point." Everything else, including all tendons, ligaments, ankle bone, etc., was normal. I am now in a cast for six weeks, physical therapy and orthotics to follow. The doctor has assured me that this type of tear will heal. I do not want surgery on an otherwise normal ankle. My question is: why in the area of the tear (tibial tendon) is there no pain, while the area of pain (peroneal tendon) appears as normal on the MRI? It almost appears as though the radiologist was looking at the wrong side of the ankle when he saw the tear.
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Due to instability of the ankle. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Since you have a longitudinal tear in the tendon the pain can be less but it adds to the instability of the ankle joint. This can cause a stress on muscles and tendons on the opposite side. That is why you are having a pain in the peroneal area. The minor partial thickness tears of tendon do heal on a conservative treatment. Surgery is not usually needed. The physiotherapy and orthotics will help in providing the right support to your ankle and thus will help in reducing the pain and swelling. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What causes mild pain in the peroneal area? 45 minutes later
Thank you. When I saw that a surgeon was answering my question (thought it would be a podiatrist) I was apprehensive, thinking that you would say surgery was necessary. It is reassuring to see that you agree with my doctor's assessment and treatment plan. I have no further questions and I thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are welcome. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you. I am glad I could help. Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful. I wish you the very best in whatever you do. Warm regards