Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes mild pain during urination ?

When I urinate, my butt hurts a little, like between the butt muscles on the left side..on the left side. Not much pain, just a little. Once I urinate, I dont feel it. I also feel it sometimes when I have to urinate, but am holding it in. What can this be?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for your question.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

As far as the pain which you describe there are a couple of possible contributing factors. The first consideration would be a form of muscle spasm which happens when you urinate. In the process of urination this causes a complex interaction of muscle relaxation as well as muscle tension. This is how the bladder serves to empty itself.

As long as you're not having pain in the urethra and as long as you're not seeing such changes as blood in the urine or foul smelling urine there is very little likelihood that there is some kind of urinary infection going on. This is more of a syndrome of irritability of the muscles in the area of your bladder. This includes the anal sphincter as well as some of the muscles which are in the area around the anus.

For some reason at this time in the process of urinating when you evacuate your bladder. This is triggering some kind of spasm. This is not uncommon and is not necessarily associated with any worrisome process. This type of spasm usually will resolve within a few days to a couple of weeks.

Again I thank you for submitting your question. I hope you have found my answer to be both informative and helpful. I would expect the symptoms you're experiencing to completely resolve within the next two weeks. If you have any additional concerns regarding this question please do not hesitate to ask as I am available to answer them.

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: What causes mild pain during urination ? 5 hours later
Thank you Doc. I should have put additional info on there. On the side I have the pain, my pelvis/hip area is very stiff, especially after sitting for a while. I was diagnosed with a torn hip labrum on that side about a month ago, due to a martial arts injury. I researched online and found that my hip injury my be pressing on the pudendal nerve, which runs near the area of the prostate. I would like your opinion on this, and if it doesnt resolve in a couple of weeks, what type of doctor do I see? Thank you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 17 hours later
Thank you for your follow-up question.

As far as the injury to your hip is concerned I would give this at least two weeks to completely heal. The injury itself does create a significant amount of local inflammation which can affect the nerves as you have specified in your follow-up. The best therapy for this is just that. Physical therapy. It is important to maintain good range of motion and mobility as well as to use stretching exercises which is physical therapist can design for you. If you are not able to see a physical therapist. I recommend you go online and search for physical therapy exercises for hip injuries. There are a host of website available which outline good regimens of treatment. You need to work on stretching exercises related to your hip.

As far as who I recommend you might see in the event that your injury does not improve completely I would recommend that you see a specialist in the field of physical medicine and rehabilitation. These are doctors who are skilled in injury as well as physical therapy recommendations.

Thank you again for submitting your question and follow up. I hope my answers have served to be helpful for you. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga