What causes mild chest pains when on HCG diet?

I started the hcg diet a week ago. This is the second time I have done this. I noticed the last time that I was having some mild chest pains. Today on my fifth day, on the second round, I am feeling pressure on the inner right breast as well as pressure midway in the sternum. When I get up and move around, I feel the pain more. The pain at times feels like I've pulled a muscle but the pain didn't start until approx. 20 minutes after I took the hcg. After hcg, I felt like someone was sitting on my chest. It was very painful and scary. ( I'm on bystolic- 10 mg for high blood bp is controlled with the medicine . In the past, I've had scares like this and my EKG / stress test before hcg turned out normal. Most of the time when I get this pressure, it ends up being gas. I've burped some today but the pain continues to be there like a pressurized lump in my sternum. Is this the hcg or gas? Is this life threatening ? Could it be a blood clot?
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pressure in the sternum:low blood sugar&pressure.. Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, The HCG diet is restricting you from foods that you must take each day. Furthermore, this diet is not approved by FDA for weight loss purposes. HCG is used as prescription medicine to help women increase fertility. The use of HCG as a diet is associated with irregular heart beats and palpitations. That's why you are feeling the pressure midway in the sternum. I'd suggest to measure your blood pressure and heart rates and blood sugar while you are having such pain, I'm sure the readings will be abnormal. I'd suggest to stop following such diet. Instead, you can follow other natural, less risky ways of losing weight, including: - by avoiding processed/junk foods/drinks - drink more water especially while having your meals - do more physical activity; breathe fresh air - have tea (green tea, linden tea, etc.) The pain and pressure you are feeling is related to low blood sugar and hypotension you experience due to the restricted diet. All the best my dear! Hope you are realizing the side effects of such diet and why it is not approved! Dr.Alba