What causes lower abdominal pain when I sit or cough?

General Surgeon
I have a dull burning pain when I sit or cough or press on very low abdomen.Feels like menstrual cramps but have had hysterectomy years ago.
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Such pain can be caused by inguinal hernia, urinary tract infection, partial bowels obstruction due to adhesions. Hernia usually causes a lump in the groin area which is more visible when standing and coughing. Pain is also present in such situations. Urinary tract infection gives also burning while urinating, frequent urinating. Blood can be present in the urine. Bowels obstruction gives also diarrhea and constipation, nausea, bloating. Cramps are very characteristic. If hysterectomy was done due to cancer, you should also consider cancer regrow in the tissues which were left in the pelvis. I suggest you to visit your doctor and have some tests. Abdominal ultrasound, abdominal X-ray, blood work, urine analysis should be done at first. You should also consult gynecologist. If you have any blood In stool, colonoscopy should be also done. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: What causes lower abdominal pain when I sit or cough? 27 minutes later
Hello Dr. I did not have cancer ever so far.Can diverticulitis cause this. I HAVE had way in past. I eat lots of veg snd fruit. Thanj you.XXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Yes, diverticulitis can also give such symptoms. However the most characteristic symptom for it is lower left abdominal pain with some stools problems (like bloating, constipation, blood in stool, mucus in stool). If you left side is more painful, so when you press it, hurts more than other parts, you need to visit your doctor as soon as possible. Pain while coughing can indicate some inflammatory process in the abdominal cavity. It can be diverticulitis. Regards.