What causes low potassium level in body?

t are some of the causes of low potassium? Can alcohol use cause it?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Alcohol indirectly cause low potassium levels... Detailed Answer: Hi, Some of the causes to low potassium include: - not taken enough with your diet - losing potassium through GI tract (vomiting, diarrhea, especially when induced by laxative use) - kidney problems - Cushing's syndrome - when you have hypomagnesemia (low levels of magnesium in the blood) - medications you take (diuretics, aminoglycosides, prednisone, amphotericin B,etc) With regards to alcohol as a cause to low potassium levels, I should admit that indirectly alcohol can cause hypokalemia. Alcohol can cause malnutrition and frequent vomiting, which are associated with low potassium. Furthermore, drinking alcohol is also associated with low magnesium levels, which, also leads to low potassium levels. Hope it answered to your query! Dr.Alba Fee. free to ask me other questions you might have at the next follow up!
Follow-up: What causes low potassium level in body? 47 minutes later
I do not have vomiting or diarreahea issues I take magnesiuem supplements and my kidneys are checked on a regular basis. this thing with my potasium seems to be a new thing all of a sudden
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly provide the requested data of yours... Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, If this is the case, could you please upload the results of any of your blood/biochemistry test you did? This could help me judge better on the "low levels of potassium" you are mentioning to have. Furthermore, my dear, could you please indicate if you consume alcohol; if yes, is it on regular basis? At last, apart magnesium, are you taking any other drug/supplement? What about your diet and foods you take? Thank you! Dr.Alba