What causes loss of flexibility in joints when suffering from diabetes?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am 50 , diabetic, and my right knee is having pain, loss of flexability, ect. the ankle too somewhat, several joints are getting very stiff. I am having problems bending to put on socks, stepping into underwear is difficult.?? Any ideas?
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Let me know the following. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. You are suffering from polyarthitis, the cause of this might be Rheumatoid arthritis (RA), systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus), psoriatic arthritis, osteoarthritis (OA), Infectious arthritis or crystal deposition arthritis. To allow me to help you better, please let me know if you also have any of the following complaints: Pain and stiffness that last for more than an hour upon arising Bilateral symmetrical involvement of hands and feet joints Hand joints and feet joints that are warm and tender to touch History of viral illness like chikungunya. Flu-like feeling Finger and toe joints that "creak" when moved; this is called crepitus Deformities in finger and toe joints Fatigue that is not easily resolved Presence of malar rash and photosensitivity Presence of raised patches or lesions of dead skin cells (psoriosis). I would also like to give some advice to make the life better and to fight with these pains- Do regular physiotherapy of joints. Hot fomentation to decrease the joint stiffness Hot bath of Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate)-Magnesium has both anti-inflammatory and anti- arthritic properties. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care