What causes limping and stiffness in joint after ACL reconstruction with meniscus debridement?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I recently underwent a ACL reconstruction with meniscus debridement on my right knee. i still limp sometimes and feel stiffness in the joint.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Will take 2-3 months more for full improvement. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. ACL reconstruction involves the rebuilding of the torn ligament . The complete physical rehabilitation after ACL surgery may take several months to a year. The length of time until you can return to normal activities or sports is different for every person. It may range from 4 to 6 months routinely. After an ACL injury and surgery, the knee is never "normal." But most people regain enough strength and range of motion to return to their usual activities. Mild amount of occasional knee pain and instability may persist for long. Since you had the surgery 4 months ago, if you have regained the full range of movement, it is considered as a good improvement. The mild stiffness and limp will also subside with regular physiotherapy and using the heating pads. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: What causes limping and stiffness in joint after ACL reconstruction with meniscus debridement? 2 minutes later
Thanks a lot Dr. XXXXXXX Is it sufficient if I do the exercises by myself or would a qualified physiotherapist be better?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Learn the exercises from a physiotherapist. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. It is best to learn the exercises from a physiotherapist as per your requirement and then continue doing it regularly at home. You will recover soon. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards