What causes leg pain at night?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had a butter fly break of my tibia 30+ years ago. I have pain at night when the leg bears no weight and no pain at work .what could this be ?
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Broken leg 30 years before may not lead to pain . Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Broken leg 30 years before may not lead to pain now. There can be other reason of pain in your leg. You first need to take x ray of the leg bone to see for any chronic infection or instability. Usually night pain indicates vascular origin of pain. Arterio Venous colour Doppler will help to see for any vascular abnormality. Muscle cramps leads to night pain in leg Muscle cramps can be reduced by Massaging the cramped muscle with your hands or oil,drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration,stretching your leg muscles or riding a stationary cycle. Taking diet rich in calcium and potassium or oral supplements of the same Check your vit B12 and Vit D 3 levels. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. I will advise to consult your treating doctor and further required investigation can be done after clinical examination. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care