What causes leftsided chest pain radiating through arms to finger tips?

I was on a run once while serving in the army. shortly into the run I had a sharp pain leading from the left side of my chest than shooting out through my arms to my fingertips. after feeling this pain my heart was pounding at a high rate for about an hour. my medic listened to my chest and said he had heard a gurgling when I would breath in. his diagnosis was that I had broken some cavity in my chest and some liquid was inside my lungs or around my heart. I wasn't able to see a doctor til several hours later, had an EKG done, and the doctor said it could be a heart murmur. no further testing was done and I never heard anything about it again. for several months after I felt as though the left side of my chest was numb but it eventually stopped. should I get further testing?
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, this should be tested further. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query. I would suggest following investigations to get this investigated - EKG, 2d Echo , stress test and if needed 24 hours EKG monitoring.And for gurgling or cavity suspicion a chest radiograph can help. It may happen that in young patients cardiac pathologies are still masked and yet to become symptomatic. Early diagnosis and treatment if needed is also desired, particularly to avoid complications. So I would strongly suggest to consider seeing cardiologist and getting investigations done. Hope this answers your query.Please ask if there are doubts. Regards.