What causes left sided pain in body?

Everybody says that sleeping on left side is healthy. But it hurts when I sleep on left side. It was mild and was not at all noticeable at the beginning. And then recently it became harder to sleep on my leftside not more than 5 minutes. Every thing on my left side hurts. Starting from my shoulder to leg. I feel heavy and I feel slight pain in the left side of my head too. Why do I feel like this? And I usually fell asleep easily on left side before and now I cant sleep on my left side.
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Left sided pain is due to pressure sores Detailed Answer: Hi Pria, Thanks for your query. Firstly, its a misconception that sleeping on the left side is healthy. On the contrary, changing sides while sleeping is recommended. Further, when you sleep/lie on one particular side for several hours, pressure on the dependent parts hamper normal blood supply to these parts (which bear the body's weight in lying position), such as, head, ear, cheeks, shoulder, chest, arm and hip. With this being a daily routine, there is development and aggravation of pressure sores within the skin and underlying tissues. Pain is due to the chronic sores caused. Change your sleeping position as frequently as possible. Use a soft mattress and stop lying on the left side, so as to give time for the tissues/muscles' sores to heal completely. NO drugs are required. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What causes left sided pain in body? 6 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX Karanwal. I have developed this pain few months back, became severe recently and I never had it before. So as long as I sleep on my right side for the time being, the pain and the sores will heal and it will be fine? I mean someone told me it's a nerves weekness and I was worried over it.
Brief Answer: The sores will heal gradually Detailed Answer: Yes, Pria. All sores will heal eventually and pain will disappear. But, make sure that you change your position (right and on your back) while sleeping. You are PARTIALLY correct about the nerves. BUT THAT IS DIFFERENT CONDITION (called Saturday Night Palsy), which affects only the arms sometimes, when a person sleeps on a side, in a sloppy way. The shoulder joint compresses over the arms' nerves, which causes the nerves to go into a state of temporary shock, lasting for a few hours to a day or two. There is a transient numbness and tingling in the arms. In your case, it is the tissues' sores. Take care, young lady.