What causes large crevices on tongue?

My tongue has large crevices and stays sensitive all of the time. My dentist states it's normal, but he doesn't know why it stays so sensitive. Can you give me any suggestions on why I have this and is there a cure?
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Dipti Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: May be a fungal infection Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXX thank you for consulting with XXXXXXX This is Dr. Dipti Singh here to answer your query. As you are mentioning that you have some large crevices on your tongue, yes it is a normal finding of tongue and it is found in 2-3 % of people. And it is asymptomatic, as there is no sensitivity or burning sensation in it. But if you are feeling sensitivity it means that is some infection starting in that. The most common is a fungal infection. According to me you should consult with a good oral medicine specialist and get it confirmed then start with some topical antifungals and a multivitamin with it. Also maintain the oral hygiene properly to prevent it. Hope it will help you. Regards Dr. Dipti Singh.