What causes itchy rash all over the body?

Sep 2013

Hello, I was in Mexico for my wedding, two days prior to my wedding I developed a very itchy, hot rash that seemed to be heat rash on the back of my arms and armpits ( it thought it was heat rash because it would come and go with heat- and I could cool it off with a cold compress, the skin wouldn't look as inflamed and it would feel better. I have been back in Winter conditions for over 2 weeks and this rash keeps appearing in different parts of my body- waist band where my pants sit, the back of my knees, my inner elbows. If I scratch it (because its very, very itchy) my skin gets red and inflammed. It also seems to get way worse at night when I am trying to sleep. It also feels like it is burning if i wear tight pants on my waist band. I am 29 years old and I have never had any skin problems ever before.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Scabies or dermatitis. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX. Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum. I would come up with these possibilities for this intense itching, these includes. 1 The first possibility is of scabies .Patients with scabies report intense itching that worsen at night and after a hot shower.Diagnosis can be confirmed by scrap from skin lesion .Burrows should be sought and unroofed with a sterile needle or scalped blade.Scrapping should be examined under microscope. Consult a dermatologist and get his opinion as physical examination as well clinical history is very important in this case. 2 Dermatitis , the 2nd possibility is of diverse kinds of dermatitis .Diagnosis can be confirmed by biopsy from lesion . 3 Sexually transmitted diseases should be excluded in adults for this type of intense itching .Diagnosis can be confirmed by VDRL . In my opinion consult a dermatologist and get his opinion as most probable cause is scabies. Permethrine soap and local gamma benzene lotion is very helpful in this type of case. Hope this information will be helpful for you. Further any question I will reply in follow up . Good luck. Dr. HET