What causes itching,welts and swellings in ankles after hot bath?

Jan 2014

About 30 minutes after getting out of the hot tub. My feet and ankles are itchy and swollen and have welts.
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Cholinergic urticaria Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to healthcareMagic I am Dr. Kakkar and I have understood your concern. I would keep a possibility of Cholinergic Urticaria. It presents as itching and skin welts/swellings, which can be distributed all over the body. Urticaria OR hives can occur due to various causes like(to name a few): --Infections(bacterial , viral, fungal) --Drugs(Pain killers/ antibiotics etc) --Certain foods and food additives/preservatives --Physical Urticaria: Cold temperature, Heat, Pressure(Prolonged Standing, Sitting), Dermaographism etc. --Cholinergic Urticaria: in response to strong emotions, exercise, spicy food. after a hot shower etc --Autoimmune disorders like SLE, RA etc. --A few cases have no underlying cause and are known as idiopathic urticaria. An oral antihistamine like Fexofenadine (Allegra 180 mg tab) OR Loratadine (Alaspan 10mg tablet) once or twice daily for a week would be suitable. They are non-sedating and wont affect your alertness level. If I was your treating doctor I would have also given you a shot of injectable antihistamines like Avil(pheniramine) and Injectable effcorlin(hydrocortisone) for rapid relief. A topical soothing lotion like calamine would help you symptomatically. take care regards