What causes itching sensation on foreskin?

Hi, I am a 32 yrs old uncircumcised male. From last one week i am having itchy sensation on top of the foreskin and seems like I had internal cuts. Now i cant retract my foreskin at all. I am not sexually active and not masturbated for last 3/4 days. Its not painful unless I tried to pull the skin.While it does not pain while peeing, but sometimes a little burning sensation as the fluid touches the cut(invisible). I tried putting antifungal cream (sebifine) for 1 week but no help. Please advice. I just recovered from pilonidal sinus(no surgery) and was having sitz bath(dettol/savlon) for last 2 weeks.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: irritant dermatitis/ candidiasis Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to healthcare magic. The possibilities from your history and description include an irritant contact dermatitis to dettol/ savlon and candidiasis. Dettol can cause irritation by itself and also by virtue of drying up the skin. In either case, you could develop mild inflammation around the glans and prepuce. You could try using an emmollient like plain petroleum jelly and slowly retracting the foreskin. The other possibility is candidiasis which is an yeast infection of the glans and prepuce. It can occur if there is increased exposure to moisture and occlusion. Terbinafine does not work well against yeasts. You could apply a cream containing 1% clotrimazole or 2% ketoconazole for1-2 weeks. Along with that, try lubricating with petroleum jelly and retract the foreskin. If you continue with the sitz bath, do not add dettol/ savlon. Use plain warm water. Gently mop the glans completely dry after every bath so that there is no moisture left. Hope this helps you. If you have further queries, I will be glad to answer.
Follow-up: What causes itching sensation on foreskin? 1 hour later
Thank u Dr. I am thinking of vaselline as petroleum jelly. is it fine? Should I apply the clotrimazole cream on external side only or inside the foreskin as well. Though currently its difficult to apply on the inner side. Should there be any time gap between applying vaseline and clotrimazole cream or I can use them at the same time?
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: clarifications Detailed Answer: Hello, Yes you could use Vaseline petroleum jelly. You could that alone for 2-3 days so that the foreskin can be retracted. Once it is a bit mobile, start applying 1% clotrimazole cream in the morning after bath and at bed time. Apply both on the glans penis and around the foreskin. In between the two applications, if you find it dry/ irritating or if you feel that the foreskin is becoming tight again, you could use Vaseline to lubricate the area. The cream base of clotrimazole will also have a moisturizing/ lubricating effect so you may not require vaseline. But if you feel the skin is tighter, you can use it in between the two applications. There is no strict time gap as such as petroleum jelly is bland and will not alter the effect of the medication. Along with this, follow the general measures I mentioned in my 1 st reply ( stopping dettol and keeping the area free of water) . Hope I have clarified your doubts. Regards, Dr. Johny Chacko