What causes itchiness with small pink spots around the pubic area?

Hi, 1) I often get itchiness around my pubic area and some very small pink spots in random places in pubic area that come and go. Usually it is worse when I am going walking or sitting down wearing pants/belt/shirt, although the itchiness comes and goes. Tried canesten but did not see any change. Can this be foliculitis or what conditions could this be? There is no pus and this looks more like tiny pink rashes with a pretty strong itch sometimes that also sometimes almost stings. Pain is not unberable, but it is unpleasant and requires scratching. 2) I also had a patch on my tights that itched a lot (pink and raised), it looked liked eczema. I took doxycicline about 4 months ago for 7 days and it went away, but remained only very slight discoloration and it itches now very very rarely, if at all, and it is barely noticeable . I was wondering what this pink patch/rash (it was about 3 centimeters long) could have been, since it almost went away after a doxycicline treatment I underwent. (question 2 is not related to question 1).
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Mutiple possibilities. Discussed below Detailed Answer: Hello friend Wecome to healthcaremgic. I am Dr XXXXXXX i understood your concern. Regarding your 1st query, there can be number of possibilities . I will briefly tell you about them so that we can one by one rule out the possibilities and come to diagnosis. 1. Urticaria: it is associated with pink to red colored raised itchy lesions that comes and go and may be exacerbated by pressure of costume you wear. You said itching comes and go. Do the rash also comes and go or it persists? 2. Molluscum contagiosum : characterised by pink colored raised lesions but persistant. Itch may be present. If married, does partner has similar lesions? 3. Fungal infection: it has ring shaped itchy lesions . May also involves both groins and thighs. Are these sites clear? 4. Allergic contact dermatitis: pink to red colored rash may be due any cream or products or metal of clothes in contact wth skin. Regarding your second query , pink raised rash on one thigh can be fungal infection as such related to pubic rash or can be eczema as you already mentioned but doxycycline is not a treatment option for both. Have you applied some topical cream also along with tablet doxycycline?? Kindly reply to my questions and if possible attach a pic so that i can see the rash and help you further.
Follow-up: What causes itchiness with small pink spots around the pubic area? 14 hours later
1) Rash comes and goes. if i dont wear clothing usually there is no itch. If I am sitting down and wearing clothing or tight jeans or if i am walking problem appears. Also I am not sure if canesten helps, however, after not using canesten, definitely itchiness and stinging reappears. I should stress that there is also a stinging not just ichyness sometimes. But it is on and off. 2) not the case- i know what that is and in this case we are talking about something on and off. sometimes there is nothing at all, or slight pink color compared to skin, sometimes, just some very small rashes in pubic hair area. 3) not ring shaped, rather here and there pink around pubic area 4) i do not use any skin products, however my apartment is fairly dry, given that it is winter here in London. With regards to second query I did not use any topical cream besides the doxycicline, this is why I am confused what rash it could have been so that the doxycicline made it go away. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Irticaria most likely... Detailed Answer: Hello friend, I really appreciate your efforts to answer all my questions. With these details, I favor the diagnosis of urticaria. We often get to see itchy lesions associated with stinging sensation in this condition. I would order the following tests before arriving at this diagnosis 1. Complete blood count. 2. Absolute eosinophil count 3. Blood sugar You can consult your doctor and discuss about those test. If they agree, you will benefit from taking tab levocetrizine. If need (when there is no response to levocetrizine) fexofenadine or steroids may be added. I also give a course antihelminthic treatment like tab albendazole to my patients. Again regarding your second query, it can be something non specific. Because in skin, we often get unexplianable rashes which often respond to antibiotics and antihistaminics. I will advice you to get above blood tests and you can start the treatment as mentioned under your doctor s supervision. I hope I am able to solve your query. If you don't have further queries , please close the discussion and rate it.