What causes involuntary deep sighing and shortness of breath after walking and exertion?

I am experiencing involuntary deep sighing-not excessively-but more than I have ever had. Also a shortness of breath after walking or exertion.
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...must get investigated Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks for the query. Shortness of breath after walking or some exertion is generally due to some lung disorder like asthma,bronchitis,obstructive pulmonary disease or due to heart conditions like heart failure or angina or due to problems like allergy to pollen or dust,obesity etc. Since you are a known case of high blood pressure,the chances of congestive heart failure are high and hence must be ruled out. You must consult a cardiologist and get properly investigated by getting ECG,ECHOCARDIOGRAM,CHEST X-ray,pulmonary function test,blood oxygen saturation levels etc. The treatment would depend upon finding the cause. As far as involuntary deep sighs are concerned,they are generally due to stress,anxiety,excitement etc.Do some meditation and deep breathing exercises to get relief from deep sighs. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks