What causes increased heart beat and palpitations?

Infertility Specialist
Hi, I was sitting at home on my laptop 2 nights ago and I had a sudden sort of thump or spasm/pressure in my chest which was followed by a dizzy/headrush sensation where I almost fainted. I quickly felt my pulse on my wrist and took a deep breath, it felt like it had stopped but then gradually came back to a sturdy strength and rate. This happen over the space of about 5 or 6 seconds from start to finish but I came over feeling really hot and weak and wobbly for a short period after. I have suffered with atrial flutter before and also another condition which has involved spluttering heart beats and thumps, but have had an echos ECGs and numerous meetings with cardiologists and they concluded that it was nothing to worry about. However, having experienced some thumps in the chest and skipped beats before this one really scared the hell out of me, I thought that was it for a moment. What do you think it was??? I have been drinking alot of coffee and smoking alot recently, also didn't take on much other fluid like water this week apart from a few glasses of wine in the evenings. Do you think that this may of contributed??? I havent smoked or drunk since, but I am still shook up and wondered if I should see someone quickly???? Many thanks XXXX
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 hours later
Brief Answer: smoking Detailed Answer: Hi What you experienced is called palpitations. They have occurred in you because of smoking and coffee excess. They increase heart beat and cause palpitations. Please stop smoking drinking coffee and alcohol. Excercise regularly for a week. You are healthy and nothing major to worry about. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol