What causes increase in fasting blood sugar level?

I asked a question this AM but have not received an answer (also paid for) my blood sugar reading was much higher this morning at 190 and just checked it at lunch time dand it was 200 my last A1C was 6.4 it normally runs around 140 in the morning but the last 2 or 3 days running higher in the am but comes down by pm. what is causing it to be so high?
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Brief answer....should not be worried much. Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks for the query. A recent increase in your fasting blood sugar levels could be because of various reasons like increased diet in the evening,may be you require a little higher dose of anti diabetic drugs in the PM time,may be you are consuming more alcohol or taking more sweets recently. Please let me know the anti diabetic medicines you are taking so that a minor change in the dosage may be advised ,but before that you can wait for couple of days and try to reduce the component of carbohydrates in your dinner.It may help in settling our fasting blood sugar levels.You may also try to increase your physical activity according to your ability and capacity. If in spite of increasing your activity and reducing the carbohydrate amount in your dinner time and reduction of calories slightly,your fasting blood sugar levels doesn't decrease,you may have to increase the dose of anti diabetic drugs slightly in your pre dinner time. Please don't increase any dose of your own and take the advice and help of your treating doctor because any change by yourself may land you with hypoglycemia. At your age keeping blood sugar levels elevated slightly is acceptable,because hypoglycemic attacks are totally unwanted and should be avoided at any cost. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks