What causes horrible taste in mouth when suffering from sinusitis?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I have been having medical problems for over a year now with my sinuses, I have had three surgeries, and I have more pain in my face and forehead than I started with. I have seen two specialty doctors and they have just brushed me off telling me I have scar tissue and lots of inflammation, but are not treating me. I also have been seeing my general dr. and for the past couple months I have had a horrible taste in my mouth with some icky scummy like stuff all over the mid and back of my tongue, she said I had hair tongue, but I have not been on antibiotics for months! I also had riit canal done two days before my last sinus surgery that ended up infected, It is still painful and swollen, the endodontist that I saw was not concerned about itbut that was in November of last year, my concern is that this infection that was in my mouth with my tooth has travelled into my sinuses and something is just not right with my tongue and all the pain in my sinuses yet, Someone is missing something, I am exhausted dealing with all of this for a year now, where do you suggest me to go now? Is there something someone is not connecting? Please Help
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer: CT PNS images, DNE, PND, medication. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. If you can upload any CT PNS Scan images, it will help understand the extent of the previous three surgeries and the relationship of the dental problem with the sinus disease. An oro-antral fistula can be ruled out. 2. A Diagnostic Nasal Endoscopy (DNE) will also help. If you can upload the video or images, the current state of the mucosa cal be seen. Here the possibility of a fungal infection or 'biofilm' formation may explain your symptoms. Swabs can be sent for bacterial and fungal culture. 3. The hairy tongue and bad taste in the mouth may be a result of a Post Nasal Drip (PND). Acid reflux (sliding hernia), nutritional and vitamin deficiencies must be ruled out. Is your diabetes under control? High blood sugar levels contribute to persistent infection and delayed healing. 4. Treatment should be based on the CT , DNE findings and culture results. The tongue and oral problems may respond to anti-allergics, mucolytics, decongestants, steroid nasal sprays and regular steam inhalation. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.