Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes hematuria?

I woke up this morning and I urinated blood. I was sitting. When I went to the washroom about an hour later I peed again standing up. No blood this time. Just went again sitting down and there was a little blood. What can cause this?
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: All causes listed for you sir Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. There are a number a conditions that can cause this presentation sir, and for your reference I shall list them all out for you: -Kidney stones -Bladder stones -Prostate enlargement -Kidney infections -Urinary bladder infections -Medications -Strenuous exercise -Medications -Kidney injury -Inherited disorders -Tumors or cysts in and around the renal or urogenital systems -Cancer (rare) These are all the causes that can result in such a presentation. But each condition has its specific symptoms along with the hematuria. So I would recommend a visit to a urologist, who will conduct an elaborate evaluation to find the cause and accurately treat you. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.