What causes heart palpitations when on Cipro for kidney infection?

Hi. I am taking Cipro. I felt my heart jump around a little bit this afternoon, and my calf tendons feel achy. I have had problems with things causing heart palpitations (Clarinex) before. I am taking the Cipro for a kidney infection, which was diagnosed as mild, and which feels better. Should I stop taking the Cipro?Would Amoxicillin be safer in terms of side effects?
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Continue Cipro,start gastric medicines... Detailed Answer: Hi, Cipro and Clarinex are 2 different types of drugs: antibiotic and anti-histaminic respectively. Heart palpitations you are feeling could be related to gastric problems resulting from the use of Cipro. I'd suggest to use: - antiacids - omeprazole - probiotics - nystatin - plenty of water while being on treatment with Cipro since you are feeling better while using it. With regards to shifting to Amoxicillin, to my opinion, it is better to continue with Cipro, wait for 10 days without treatment and repeat urine analysis and urine culture and sensitivity to determine if Amoxicillin is another good choice to treat your infection. If the heart problems won't improve, then, you should stop Cipro and talk to your physician for further evaluation including cardiac tests (EKG, Holter monitoring, blood pressure monitoring). All the best! Dr.Alba Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!