What causes hearing problems?

ENT Specialist
I m listening less as compare normal..but i m feeling that from my childhood time onwards ,i have not washed my ear in a single time . For this what i hv to do ? there is nothing problem in my ear in last so many years. Please suggest me ..what is the next steps i have to follow.
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: audiogram Detailed Answer: Hello Mr XXXXXXX If you feel that your hearing is less then you have to meet an ENT specialist. After complete examination of the ear, nose and the throat, he / she will do a basic hearing test with tuning forks. Your doctor will then get a test called audiometry done. In this test again your hearing will be tested. Sound impulses will be given through headphones. This test helps us to detect even small amounts of hearing loss and the type of loss. There are 3 types of hearing loss- 1) conducive - here sound conduction is hampered example - hole in the ear drum, fluid in the ear. 2) sensorineural - here sound impulses are not transmitted properly to the brain. 3) mixed - has both the above components. In your case since you feel that you have hearing loss since childhood but no other complaints then it could be a condition called otosclerosis. Here the bones in the ear that conduct sound are fused together. Another reason for hearing loss in you may be deterioration of the nerve that carries hearing impulses to the brain. Do not worry, just see an ENT specialist. Regards, Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Follow-up: What causes hearing problems? 6 minutes later
Thanks a lot , There is nothing hearing problem from my childhood period.but now i am feeling a little bit ..anyways i will consult a ENT specialist . For clear wax in ear ,is there any medicine for this or ? Please suggest me . Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 5 hours later
Brief Answer: waxol Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX To clear wax in your ear you can use either soliwax or waxol or desol ear drops. 5 drops 5 times a day for 6 days. Wax usually comes out on its own. Do not try to remove the wax from your ear by yourself it can lead to impaction. Regards, Dr Rajkishori Godhi.