What causes headache,weakness of arm and leg and numbness of tongue?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Left sided arm and leg weakness left tongue numb. 3 weeks now started after a hadache. have chronic migraines and fribro and sacriolitis. Ct and mri brain clear. Now lyme positive how likely are these symptems due to Lyme Dr prescribes oral docycyline (sp?)
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be related to Lyme's disease. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. Your symptoms of headache, weakness of arm and leg on the left side and numbness of tongue could be related to Lyme's disease. Oral doxycycline is the correct antibiotic for that. Also, other causes such as demyelination (such as multiple sclerosis) and ischemia (lack of blood supply to brain) have been excluded by an MRI brain, which was clear. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow-up: What causes headache,weakness of arm and leg and numbness of tongue? 11 hours later
Is there a test to find out how long u have had lyme? I had a negative in 2012 and windering how long been positive

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not possible. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. It is usually not possible to find out the duration of lyme infection. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: What causes headache,weakness of arm and leg and numbness of tongue? 8 hours later
If my old office had a mouse provlem wilhich was so bad that droppings were in desk drawers and ceiling tiles could that be the cause? Im never outside except in and out of driveway to car. I also had severe asthma problems from the mold in the building before i quit. You can see the water stains under the duct tape were some of the mold is.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Difficult to explain the source of infection. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. Lyme disease occurs by tick bite. It is difficult to ascertain the source of the tick. However, the situations mentioned by you, could have been the source of the tick. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)