What causes grand mal seizure?

Question 76 and first grand mal last night...have Parkinson's PLEASE CANCEL MY QUESTION..THANK YOU. DO NOT CHARGE ME
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer: There has to be an etiology Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. First grand mal seizure at the age of 75 cannot be an ediopathic. There has to be a reason. Common reasons being 1. BP shooting up. - needs proper BP monitoring. 2. Electrolyte imbalance - get the electrolytes Na and K checked. 3. Hypoglycemia- get your fasting sugars checked. And still if no reason is found you may get a CT scan brain done. There has to be a reason for seizures at 75 years of age. Apart frkm finding the etiology it would be also wise to get an electro encephalogram done and if it is still showing epileptic discharges then it would be wsie to start an anti epileptic like valproate or carbamazepine etc. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.