What causes genital sores?

I had genital sores that were only painful when wiping with no discharge. I noticed them saturday and by thursday evening they were gone. I have not had oral sex or regular sex and was wondering what they may be
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can be due to dermatitis or folliculitis. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The painless genital sores that disappeared spontaneously in 2 days were likely to be due to contact dermatitis or Folliculitis: When hair follicles get crushed because of clothes etc they can become infected and cause such symptoms. This will usually present as painful inflammatory swelling which will discharge pus and blood. Now that the lesions have subsided there is no need to worry. Be careful in future to have safe sex and maintain good genital hygiene. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What causes genital sores? 36 minutes later
The sores (I saw two, almost opposite each other) weren't entirely painless, but they only caused me pain when I wiped after urination- urination itself did not cause any pain, and there was no difficulty passing urine or stool. There was no inflammatory swelling (from what I could tell) and at no point was any blood or pus discharged. There was no itching. No other symptoms were noticed.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Dermatitis likely. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. The description that you have provided is suggestive of dermatitis. Now that the lesions have healed completely there is no need to worry. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards