What causes general foot weakness?

Nov 2013

For about 3 years I have not been able to stand on toes or heels and had general foot weakness, and also left hand is weak. I am skinny and have never been that strong, but I notice these things a lot. I have been very paranoid of something crazy like MS or something like that. I don't have any other symptoms, my vision is good, my breathing and swallowing are fine, talking is fine. I walk fine but I notice a slight limp in my right leg that has been there for years now, it kind of comes and goes, and my feet are ok when I walk, I go heel to toe, but I do notice they are kind of weak for walking after I have been walking for a while. I hate getting tests done because I am scared it is something like MS, and it just makes me not want to go in and get examined. I would just like to know your opinion on my symptoms.
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I can understand your concern, however, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of multiple sclerosis or any other serious neurological disease. They most likely indicate general weakness, and would improve with good diet and exercises. In any case, you should get a complete neurological examination done, and may be a nerve conduction studies to exclude any peripheral neuropathy (weakness of nerves of feet and hands). Tests for vitamin B12 and vitamin D levels should also be done, as their deficiency could cause similar symptoms. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Follow-up: What causes general foot weakness? 27 minutes later
Thanks you so much, your words are very reassuring, my main concern was some disease or something like that. I have been so paranoid that I even did a pseudo self examination (touching my finger to nose then other finger, Babinski and Hoffman signs etc..) things seem normal, except my balance could be better, and obviously can't stand on toes/heels. I was also wondering if my foot thing sounds like a "foot drop" to you? I don't have much power in my feet, but I can still walk heel to toe. Would it be a foot drop?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Your symptoms do not seem like foot drop. In foot drop, it would be difficult or impossible to walk on heel. Also, there would be high steppage gait, that is, you would raise the leg higher to avoid slapping the ground with foot while ensuring a better ground clearance. I appreciate your "self neuro examination) and it rules out any major neurological disease. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)