What causes ganglion swelling after weight lifting?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi- I exercise somewhat regularly with weights, nothing extremely heavy. Recently after a hiatus of a few weeks or so I started back again, and did so for about an hour. Among the exercises was a tricep push which involves holding a vertical bar and pushing down with a cable, and also dumbells. There were a number of other exercises. Its possible I may have been holding the bar incorrectly or did too much too fast, I don't know. This time though something very strange happened- I suddenly noticed a large swelling on my wrist under my left hand thumb area. There was no discoloration, limitation of movement or pain at all. I have never in my life seen this happen before. I immediately quit and put ice on it, and it started to go down. I took ibuprofen and in about 2 days it was almost normal, however its been over a week and a half now and there is still a barely noticeable lump there (others have said they can see it). Everyone says exercising is important but I'm quite afraid this is going to happen again or even blow up regularly if I start again... what in the world is this? Can it have been affected by anything I may have eaten? I would ask a specialist, but I don't even know what specialty this would be. Its scary, thanks J Huff
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get your x-ray of involved wrist done. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query. You should not worry about it. In some guys who prefer to do heavy weight lifting or rigorous exercises, there occur swelling in tendon i.e ganglion. All you need is to get x-ray of involved wrist done in AP and Lateral view done. Discuss it with your doctor i.e orthopaedician. Your doctor would do physical examination of your wrist. He may advise you some steroid injection in site or excision. You may send me report of x-ray and report of physical examination to discus it with me. This swelling has nothing to do with diet taken. Onething you must follow is stop doing any type of exercise till you discuss all this with your doctor i.e orthopaedician. Till then you can take 1 tablet aceclofenac + serratiopeptidase in morning, afternoon and evening. I hope you have get your answer. . You are welcome to ask any health related query. Thanks. Dr.Singh.

Follow-up: What causes ganglion swelling after weight lifting? 7 hours later
Hi, Is serratiopeptidase similar to/the same as serrapeptase? I have this supplement here now, which I bought as a possible remedy for eye floaters (this has been discussed online). I took the supplement for 3-4 days several months ago, 40,000 units 1 pill per day and shortly afterwards had a two-three week episode where I was having pains/discomfort in my wrists, akin to carpal tunnel. I stopped taking the supplement after a few days and this eventually went away.... though I had also changed to an ergonomic mouse at work. Its very difficult to gauge this sort of thing, but my thinking at the time was the serrapeptase triggered the joint inflammation at the time? Is this possible? I can take it now for the wrist if this is the same thing, I never discarded the bottle but I wanted to see if this was a possibility- thanks!

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You must cosult your doctor. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query again. My friend, yes serrapeptase is same as serratiopeptidase, but one thing you must know that, it is preferably be taken with painkiller tablet as combination in your case. Serrapeptase does not trigger joint inflammation. My friend I have already advised you to consult orthopaedician who will do your physical examination of wrist and access you according to report of x-ray. Serrapetidase is not the final treatment you should have. Your doctor may advise you some steroid injection in site or excision. Till you have x-ray report and consultation with your doctor you can take 1 tablet aceclofenac + serratiopeptidase in morning, afternoon and evening, because it is seen in some patients that swelling in wrist area does not increase by taking the drugs advised above. Otherwise if you do not take aceclofenac+serratiopeptidase till you consult doctor, your swelling may increase in the mean time. At-last I would advise you not to delay your meeting with orthopaedician and till then you should take 1 tablet aceclofenac + serratiopeptidase in morning, afternoon and evening. I hope you have get your answer. . You are welcome to ask any health related query. Thanks. Dr.Singh.

Follow-up: What causes ganglion swelling after weight lifting? 35 hours later
Hi- one last question please- To be clear- it has been about two weeks and the swelling has almost entirely disappeared, it is barely noticeable at all. I would have to point the spot out to a doctor for them to even find it. An X-ray is expensive- why do you think this is needed, do you suspect there could be a broken bone, or some other disorder and if so what do you suspect? There has never been any pain involved. I would not be concerned at all except that I wanted to resume exercise and am afraid the spot will blow up again, and have no idea how long to wait before doing so. Again I have been doing exercises of this sort all my life and this has never happened before, although perhaps I accidentally used a strange angle or aggravated a joint. Thanks much-

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: x-ray is must . Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query again. My friend, I have advise you x-ray to know clear pictures of dense structures, like bone. Although x-rays will not show a ganglion cyst, they can be used to rule out other conditions, such as arthritis etc. But as you are giving history that you don't have pain so you should not be worried about that but still I insist you to consult orthopaedician who will do your physical examination of wrist and access you according to report of x-ray. Your doctor may advise you wrist brace or splint that may relieve symptoms and cause the swelling to decrease in size and its future recurrence. After a period of 1 month your doctor may prescribe exercises to strengthen the wrist and improve range of motion. At-last I would advise you not to delay your meeting with orthopaedician and do not make your diagnosis by yourself. I hope you have get your answer. . You are welcome to ask any health related query. Thanks. Dr.Singh.