What causes frequent nausea and aggravates it on sitting?

Hi, I am a retired 63 male, 5'10" (185lbs) and in the past few months, I have felt nausea frequently after eating. I have also recently found that it gets worse when I sit down. I am fairly healthy (gym 3 times a week), though I spend the majority of my time sitting at a computer at home.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 57 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Some of the most common causes of nausea after having food are any allergy to food content,excesive fatty food intake,acid reflux and food poisoning.
Some suggestions for you:
Have small frequent meals in a day instead of large meals.
Do some alteration in the diet like have more of fresh fruits and veggies in diet.
Eat slowly and avoid mixing hot and cold food items.
Take some OTC drug like TUMS before meals twice a day as if there is excess acid formation it would help in controlling.
Drink lots of water.
Do not lie down immediately after having meals.
While on bed keep the head portion elevated by using pillows.

If the symptoms still persist even after a week then it could be indicative of any underlying disorder like Gall Stones,GERD,Peptic Ulcer etc. Consider visiting a Primary Physician for evaluation and you might require investigations like USG scan and Endoscopy to rule out the exact cause.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.