What causes frequent bowel movement after having food?

General Surgeon
I constantly go to the bathroom after i eat and usually it's loose watery stool
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. If this symptom is present since few days, intestines infection (viral or bacterial) is most probable reason. If you have loose stools for some time now, and it has appeared after antibiotics course or some travel, chronic bacterial infection is the most probable reason. If there is a blood in stool or you have lost some weight recently, abdominal pain appears, abdomen gets bloated from time to time, you have joints pains or strange skin changes (like a rash) Crohns disease should be considered. If the stool contains lots of mucus, floats and smells bad, pancreas issues are possible I suggest you to: -in case of recent appearance of loose stool, please try mild diet along with probiotic intake - if chronic infection seems most possible, stool culture test and Rifaximine treatment can be helpful - in case of Crohns disease possibility, colonoscopy should be done - in case of pancreas issues, amylase, lipase and abdominal CT should be done Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: What causes frequent bowel movement after having food? 5 minutes later
The reason im concerned is my mothers father had colon cancer but they are never any blood in my stool or do i have weight loss!!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Colon cancer is rather hardly possible at your age. If your mothers father had this cancer over the age of 50, your risk of this cancer is regular and this is rather not hereditary case. Colon cancer is strongly associated with the age and its risk significantly rises over 50. General rule is that first colonoscopy should be in the age of 50 or if there was this cancer in the family before the age of 50, first colonoscopy should be 10 years earlier than family case of colon cancer. Weight loss can be serious symptom and can indicate Crohns disease. Please note that to diagnose Crohns disease colonoscopy is necessary (this will also rule colon cancer out). Please consult gastrologist and consider colonoscopy. Regards.