What causes foul smelling stool with mucus?
User rating for this question
My 7 yr old daughter often gets stomach aches. Two weeks ago she had two stomach aches that made her put down her toys and lay in a fetal position for several hours. This happened twice over that weekend. Since then she has been having about 3-4 bms a day. Last night I noticed it had a terrible fishy odor and it was just a yellowish mucus. Could this be viral or something more I should e concerned about??
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: infection could be viral or bacterial. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Fishy and foul smelling stool with mucus and increased frequency of stools are suggestive of infection of intestines. Most of the infections are due to viral causes. But bacterial or protozoal organism also cause infection and usually these are associated with fishy, foul smelling stools with mucus. Stool tests such as stool routine, microscopy and culture will tell the type of infection and will help in choosing antibiotic if the tests show any bacterial growth in the culture. Give oral rehydration solutions to maintain hydration of the child. Consult the Pediatrician for clinical examination and to investigate and prescribe appropriate medication. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.
People also viewed
- Overdose of colicaid drops in infants
- Causes of foul smelling stools in infants
- What causes foul-smelling stools
- Does colicaid drops increases the motion frequency
- Puss filled bites all over legs
- Colicaid drops how many days
- What are the causes for extremely foul smelling stools
- Causes of foul smelling stools
- What causes foul smelling stool with mucus
- Xymex a drug for intestinal colic
- Domstal syrup for colic
- Biting feeling inside of penis
- Fluocinonide to help with spider bite
- Bite feeling of sunburn
- Biting feeling in stomach