What causes flaky and itchy lump on scalp?

I have a lump on my scalp that is flaky and itchy. It started as a small lump under my scalp but has begun to spread and flake. It is near to a spot that I burnt with hot hair straighteners a few years ago. Should I try some kind of cream or see my gp?
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: See your GP Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this lump that has been increasing in size and the itchy scalp. The most common cases of itchy scalp are dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis and fungal infections among others. In order to address this problem fully, we need to first understand what we are dealing with. Only a proper examination and maybe testing would be able to make the exact diagnosis. This is very important because the the treatment differs depending on the exact cause. For these reasons, I will like that you get consulted by your GP. He/she would make the exact diagnosis after examination and/or testing before going on to prescribe the necessary medications. I hope you find this helpful and guiding enough for you to approach this problem. For the mean time, you should wash it often and keep it clean to minimize the itches. I will not advice that you start using any creams when we do not know the exact condition we are dealing with. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for ore information or clarifications if need be. Thanks! Dr. Ditah, MD.