What causes extreme pain in leg with numbness and imbalance?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
hello, I have fallen down some stairs many years ago, and my G.P. said go away I am busy. since about 2008 I began having muscels cramps in right buttoc, and developed a bunion on my right foot, where the damage was caused by the fall all those years ago, this year I had an MRI which did not concern any foot specialist or knee specialist and I am hoping to see an orthopaedic surgeon. I have extreme pain down the right leg which also causes numbness and in- balance when walking, and I have to wear an orhortic insole in the right foot, the left is fine. the MRI did show signs of being out of line to the natural line of a normal spinal picture. what is going on here ? please can you diagnose the problems. please.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Degenerative disc disease Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. You might be suffering from degenerative disc disease & it occurs due to repetitive overload or stress to the disc & it increases the risk of disc herniation & spinal canal stenosis. It causes nerve root compression and might be responsible for numbness and pain down the leg. For this condition you have to do stretching & strengthening exercises in which you have to stretch tight muscle & strengthen weakened ones which will alleviate stress on facet joint and disc. Temporary pain relief can be obtained by using an appropriate analgesic or muscle relaxant ,Pregabalin & methylcobalamine supplements. I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for further workup and management. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: What causes extreme pain in leg with numbness and imbalance? 15 hours later
thank you so much for all your information I am seeing an orthopaedic consultant, soon. the info was greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: I would appreciate your reviews about this service Detailed Answer: Hi, I am glad to know that I could address your concern. Hope this discussion was helpful. Please close the discussion if you have no further query . I would appreciate your reviews about this service.