What causes extreme nipple pain?

I have had extreme nipple pain to the touch for 7 days I do not have abdominal pain!!!
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hari Om Chandrakar 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: underlying infected nipple can cause nipple pain ! Detailed Answer: Hello, I had gone through your query and understand your concerns. You are having nipple pain since 7 days, pain increases on touching the nipples. This is most likely due to severe infection in the lactiferus sinus and lactiferus ducts which underlies the nipple tissue and is continuous backwards to the breast tissue. You are hereby advised to have a thorough checkup of your breast by your nearby surgeon, to start an antibiotic regimn according to extent of infection, which generally consists of some higher antibiotics of third or fourth generation cephalosporins and some local application of antibiotic and antifungal cream. I would also get your routine blood cell count to rule out any systemic infection and some mammography scans to rule out any calcification or any other breast related issues. There are few more questions which is required to reach particular clinical diagnosis like 1. do you have fever? 2. is it affected in both breasts? 3. is there any redness in the area? 4. is there any discharge (red or yellow or clear) from lesion? 5. was there presence of any cracks around nipples? 6. is there any swelling in yours armpit lymph nodes? Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Regards Dr Hari Om Chandrakar MBBS