What causes episodes of severe headache with relief on vomiting?

Jun 2015

frequent burps leading to a severe headache. While the headache is severe my saliva is very thick. what could be the reason..? If I skip my dinner and vomit everything which I had in the afternoon, then after a good sleep, I will be back to normal by the morning.
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Migraine & production of gas in stomach Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for your query. A. The episodes of severe headache with relief on vomiting, as mentioned in your post can be attributed to Migraine. Management involves intake of medications like Sodium valproate, Propanolol & Amitriptyline preparations. But being prescription drugs, these medications need to be taken only under the guidance of your Doctor, to avoid any unwanted side effects. B. The causes of getting frequent burps is due to production & accumulation of gas in the stomach, which can be secondary to increased acid formation. The reason for increased acid production can be Stress, inappropriate diet & lifestyle methods or infection associated with a type of bacteria called Helicobacter pylori (H pylori). Symptomatic relief can be obtained with intake of Proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole, Pantoprazole,etc. (which prevent acid formation in stomach) to be taken twice a day, half an hour before meals. Antacid gel can also be taken after meals for the same. C. It is also needed that you take certain precautions regarding your diet & lifestyle, such as: 1. Take soft, plain, non-spicy foods 2. Drink lots of water to maintain adequate hydration 3. Avoid smoking & consuming irritating substances such as acidic & rich foods, caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol. 4. Have your meals regularly and at appropriate time of the day. Do not skip breakfast & never stay hungry. 5. Keep away stress, think positive. 6. Exercise regularly & practice meditation. 7. Avoid staying awake late at nights. Get sufficient sleep. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Please let me know if I can clarify further. Wishing a good health. Take care.