What causes elevated liver enzymes?

Question
My 14 year old daughter was just dx'd with diabetes and will be taking insulin.
Her A1C is 10
She also showed very high ALT and
AST
AST=81
ALT=142

She is having an ultrasound of liver on Monday to check for fatty liver. But what else could this mean?
Posted Sat, 6 Feb 2016 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some information:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Given your daughter's weight, I would suspect fatty liver as being higher on the list of possible causes for her elevated liver enzymes.

But other possible causes of liver enzyme increases are anything that can irritate or inflame the liver. In a teenager, these include infections such Epstein-Barr (mono) and CMV (cytomegalovirus which sometimes presents like mono), and autoimmune hepatitis.

There are tests for all of these things, and they may have already been drawn, or may be pursued depending on the results of the liver ultrasound.

I am sorry your daughter has been sick and hope she will be better soon. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.