What causes ear pain with discomfort in neck and plugged nose?
User rating for this question
I'm 78 years old am experiencing ear pain, discomfort left side of neck and plugged nose all on left side.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: sinusitis, otitis media (Ear infection Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic The ear is connected with the nasal passages and the sinuses .This is the reason that pain can be referred from the ear to these areas and also the reasons that infections these areas may often occur at the same time. Based on the history that you have provided, it sounds at though you have another episode of sinusitis possibly co existing with an ear infection. Sinus infections , as you would probably know, can result in facial pain and tenderness, nasal congestion. It is possible that the pain on the left side of the neck can be related to the inflammatory response of the lymph nodes in this area. Lymph nodes respond to infection or inflammation which occurs in the area they are responsible for. They are part of the body's immune response. You should consider the use of an decongestant and antihistamine.These often come in combinations and are available over the counter, examples are zytec d, claritin d, sudafed. IF you have a topical nasal spray for your sinuses this would also help , examples are nasone, nasocort, rhinocort You would also need pain medication to help with the pain in the ear. Anti inflammatory pain medication would be best, examples are naproxen, ibuprofen, cataflam. In some persons the immune system is able to fight of ear infections but in most cases, at least topical antibiotic ear drops would be needed. YOur doctor would be able to give you a prescription. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
People also viewed
- Medical injections that can make you sick
- Inhaled piece of plastic
- Is muscle stiffness a side effect of minocin?
- Is severe vomiting a side effect of opana er?
- Vitcofol injection meant for what
- Is swollen glands a side effect of neurontin?
- What is meaning of placentrex injections
- Steriod injections and missed period
- What causes ear pain
- What causes left ear pain
- What causes sudden ear pain
- Is dizziness a side effect of nitrofurantoin?
- Is swollen joints a side effect of ofloxacin?
- What causes severe ear pain
- Ear pain due to glasses discomfort what is the cause